Thomas Raith (
emptynight) wrote2009-12-11 10:57 pm
Entry tags:
I'm the kind to sit up in his room. Heart sick and eyes filled up with gloom.
When Thomas woke up, the sun was streaming in through the window, and he could see brilliant blue sky through a space in the thin curtains. His mouth felt bone dry, but his head didn't throb, a pleasant surprise. Some part of him had expected the vampire safe tequila to have given him every effect of real alcohol. As it was, Thomas couldn't remember coming back to the house and falling asleep; the last thing he remembered was getting back on Lestat's plane and deciding he was going to take a nap.
Maybe someone had dragged him back to the house and tossed him on his bed.
With the shambling, bleary gait of a sobering college student, Thomas shuffled into the bathroom and set himself to the not-inconsiderable task of sluicing off the remnants of debauchery and alcohol.
*****
Half an hour and a thoroughly steamed up bathroom later, he stood in the middle of the bedroom he shared with Alice, a towel around his hips, as he checked his voicemail. The blearily blank expression on his face faded into worry and perplexity as he listened, and, by the time Thomas clicked 'save', a deep frown was growing. He sank into a seat on his bed, staring at the phone in his hand, while the other ran absentmindedly through damp dark hair.
((Tag Alice!))
Maybe someone had dragged him back to the house and tossed him on his bed.
With the shambling, bleary gait of a sobering college student, Thomas shuffled into the bathroom and set himself to the not-inconsiderable task of sluicing off the remnants of debauchery and alcohol.
*****
Half an hour and a thoroughly steamed up bathroom later, he stood in the middle of the bedroom he shared with Alice, a towel around his hips, as he checked his voicemail. The blearily blank expression on his face faded into worry and perplexity as he listened, and, by the time Thomas clicked 'save', a deep frown was growing. He sank into a seat on his bed, staring at the phone in his hand, while the other ran absentmindedly through damp dark hair.
((Tag Alice!))

no subject
She had to stop thinking that too though, 'cause the one time she'd thought it really, really hard, the bottle of water some flight attendant had slipped her on her way in burst into a million little plastic fragments and that was enough to keep her meditating most of the way home.
Jasper was going to call and he was going to be pissed and let him, she thought, this wasn't normal and it wasn't like she needed topping up daily. Not usually. This was unpredictable and there were more important things than whether or not she wished she could pop a Tylenol. Like who the hell Nathan Raith was when he was at home, and where his home was, and god, Thomas was probably a mess. She sure was.
He definitely didn't look too happy when she walked in. Doing her super strong best to seem casual and probably failing miserably, especially when she saw all her stuff and remembered she still hadn't decided where she was going to live, never mind everything else. At least Thomas was in one piece and yeah, she was pretty relieved.
"You look all chipper and ready to take on the world, yeah? No sleeping today? They say ten hours Thomas, and that's just for humans, you might need more." She didn't say sweet fuck all about pretty lights and bleeding doorways and the other things that popped up when she tried to form sentences. Because she was fine.
no subject
So when Alice came in, Thomas rose without thinking, crossing the room and sliding an arm around her waist. The Hunger was already reaching for her when he kissed Alice's forehead. The sheer magnitude of emotion, of that pent up pressure, surprised Thomas out of his thoughts and he blinked rapidly, staring down at Alice as if seeing her for the first time (which, to be fair, was true).
"I slept already," he answered, his mouth still working on autopilot as he reached up to brush Alice's cheeks with power at his fingertips. Still there, that torrent of emotion, barely held in check by sheer willpower. The next words that came out of his mouth were obvious.
"Alice? You're not okay."
no subject
"You worry too much Thomas Raith, that's always gonna be your problem."
no subject
He thought about telling her to go lie down and yell at him from there for a second, but empty night there was so much. Thomas wasn't sure how she was still standing. "Come on," he said. "Walk and yell." The Hunger slid from his fingers and up, reaching for Alice, sinking deep beneath her skin as Thomas walked her with him to the windows and drew the blinds tightly.
When the room was in shadow, he led her back to her bed. "Don't you give me that I'm fine crap. Sit down," he continued, loosening his grip on Alice's hand to reach behind her and undo her dress, letting his fingers linger against smooth skin. By now, simple touch was enough, though through touch alone the demon could only feed in a slow steady trickle, not that glorious flood of light. But it seemed best for now, when Alice looked like anything more was going to break her into pieces.
Slow lingering touches, every one of them siphoning off a little more emotion, easing the pressure. "I left my phone under the bed," he said, following Alice's train of thought as he eased the dress off, fingers kneading steadily at her shoulders. "Sorry. Go ahead, keep yelling."
no subject
"I wasn't yelling, you'd know if I was yelling mister, they'd know it all the way back to Vegas, I was worried about you, and oh god Thomas, I think they did something to my head." State the obvious much, Alice. "I mean nothing different- there was just so much happening and seeing Vlad made it hurt more than it ever has before, I don't know why, I tried to make it stop but it only got better awhile, I can't help wanting to know where he is, why aren't you telling me if you're ok or not? Didn't I ask that yet?" She wasn't seeing, there was just too much in her head to get it out in the right order.
But it was getting better. Thomas' touch was smooth and careful, more like he was performing surgery than feeding. It was nice, though, being taken care of. Just for a little while. Alice gave a little gasp when the pain began to ebb, and god, she was so grateful. "Tell me if you're ok."
Not that she was going to change right off.
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
Alice liked to think she kept anger, real anger that was going to last beyond her next shopping trip or great conversation, in a special quiet place. Somewhere deep beneath all the noise and threads of the future and lately pain, somewhere it would keep to itself until it was needed. That's where she put the look in Thomas' eyes when he listed all the ways his father had earned a long, painful death. That's where she put the silent but very, very serious desire to kill the man for him. For the world, really, 'cause what kind of loss would that be? But that was for later, after she'd had time to figure out what kind of deal was really going down. He'd never let her do anything to help if it was going to risk Justine. And his family, his Court was all so frigging complicated. She didn't have the head for it right then, still pounding with everything she was blocked from seeing and everything she was keeping inside.
She might if he kept kissing her like that, though. Alice splayed a hand over the muscles where his shoulders met, the slow warmth under her fingers filling her head and letting it melt. It was kind of nice, this slow pull of Alice into Thomas when far too much Alice existed, a different kind of nice from when they just tore into each other and he drained her all at once. Like being sculpted. Jasper used to call it that, though it wasn't the same thing, and anyway Alice made herself.
She didn't necessarily mean for things to change when she pulled him to lie down with her, everything stayed slow and easy. She just wanted to close her eyes and feel the pain drift away, and so in its place was Thomas' hands and lips, yeah, that was a pretty excellent trade.
"I tried to text you all night," she said quietly, pulling away a few inches and stroking his hair, "'cause I wanted you to know I'm on your team, and you're on mine. 'Cause I didn't want to keep you out of any of it or make you think I was gonna go do something stupid." And 'cause Nathan had been the skeeziest surprise ever, but the rest of it was true too. If Alice was going to get taken care of whether she liked it or not, then Thomas could deal with being trusted. She figured that was a pretty excellent trade, too.
no subject
His hands never stopped moving against Alice's back; there was no way he could knead enough at the muscles he felt beneath her skin to do any good, but Thomas kept up the motions anyway. It was the thought that count, or something. Much like how he really didn't need Alice to be stroking his hair, but it was appreciated. "You are doing something stupid, Alice," he couldn't help pointing out, but there was no heat in his voice. No anger. Just resignation. "But then so I am so maybe we're even on that one."
The rest of her words had warmed him far more than Thomas was comfortable with, and instead of addressing them he did what he always did. Thomas pulled Alice back against him and kissed her, slow and steady, with nothing more than the simple pleasure of kissing Alice. "Thanks."
Keeping a rein on the Hunger, forcing it to sip continuously, Thomas asked calmly, "So tell me about what happened with Vlad. I promise I will not tell Lacci or Edward about his visit." It didn't need to be said that he was, in fact, thinking of all the ways his precisely worded promise could (and would) be circumvented.
no subject
There were still risks you could be super careful about, though. "You can't just not tell her, she can't find out, like, at all, the language was pretty specific and there was a reason, you know?" Alice kept her eyes closed while she spoke, partly out of wanting to feel herself floating in a quieter head and partly 'cause she didn't really want to see his reaction to any of it.
"He couldn't say a whole lot, like something was stopping him, but I think they keep him knocked out most of the time. He said they only keep him awake when they need him to think." That part was the freakiest and the one her brain had been trying to focus on the most since the night before, except she hadn't been able to, not until now. "I don't know what they need him to think for, but it wasn't a high priority, you know? Just making sure it was him, getting him fed- I mean I might have blanked out some stuff, it got pretty crowded up here and that's when the trouble started, yeah?"
It was worth it. It was totally worth it, except if she was wrong and it wasn't any better the next time they got him she didn't know how she was going to cope. And she definitely didn't know how Thomas was going to react to that, or to all the rest of it.
"Ask me whatever you like and I'll tell you what I remember but if there're like, pink elephants in the story, doubt my veracity, yeah? I'm basically still coated in the thickest layer of sleeze, 'cause never mind your father, Vincent made me wanna hurl and I actually can't." His eyes kept popping up in Alice's head, and she wondered if that's what'd done it, or if she was really just that crazy lucky. "You met him before. Did he- like was there any kind of hoodoo he worked? Does he always wear that shiny suit? But Vlad's ok, at least, he's not any deader than when he left, and we got letters. Maybe Lacci'll get one too."
Oh and by the way I can maybe make things explode by looking at them which might be from the insanely old vampire I fed off of or it might be an evil demon lawyer's bug in my brain. Right. You worked up to stuff like that.
"But I'm ok Thomas, really I am you can tell, can't you? It's better, I mean it feels like I'm talking in the right order now anyway." Needing this was just a huge pain in the ass. Wanting it was pretty nice, though. "For real, ask whatever. What were you doing last night? Did your dad- I mean you saw him, yeah?"
no subject
"Vincent's a slimy wannabe Armani knockoff model," Thomas said instead, forcing his voice to be light. "But whatever he does, he's warded. I can't read a thing off him, and neither can Edward." The idea that Wolfram & Hart would let Lacci get a letter from her brother when they were doing their damnest to keep everything about him from her seemed unlikely at best, but Thomas didn't say anything. No need to start that argument again.
The beginnings of an idea ran through his mind. The girl enjoys reaching into your mind, speaking to us. Who is to say I cannot whisper back? For the moment, Thomas pushed it away, lest he begin to make plans and give the game away to Alice. "I'll ask later," he said. "Let me think about what I want to know." He smiled and kissed Alice's forehead again.
Mention of his father made a shadow fall over Thomas' face, a mixture of anger and worry, but it passed as quickly as it had come, leaving behind little more than a faint tension around his eyes. "Yeah, you're fine if you're grilling me about that again. I did see dear old Dad. Lacci was having a bad time with all the lights in Vegas, so we went and found a room with Edw--" Thomas stopped his immediate train of thought, switched gears. "Something happened with your brother last night."
no subject
The warding she figured, otherwise Edward would've said something before she'd gotten blacklisted, it was what Vincent did she was interested in, but he would've said by now. She was just going to have to wait, talk to Pandora, try not to get too... explodey, she guessed, and she'd figure it out. She always did. "I never saw him. I mean he's been here a bunch of times and they were blocking before I knew, but I never once saw him, I'm not even totally sure if he falls on my radar, Alucard never did. Wards on them and wards on my head are different, yeah?" Dru had always been a problem too, but that was definitely not for dwelling on.
"I don't think asking you a question I already know the answer to fully qualifies as grilling, but take your shots where you can, yeah?" Alice smiled and listened to the post-mortem with some amount of content until his voice changed, and then she was torn between sighing wearily and shaking the story out of him. Her eyes flew open instead, an inquisitive and tell me right fucking now look in her eye that she liked to think was unique to her serving as a replacement for both.
"What happened with my brother last night? Where is he? What'd he do?" She didn't sound so much worried as she did like she was going to track him down and smack him. Which, distinct possibility.
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
His grin was pure mischief, but Thomas seemed to catch his own words and frowned a little. "You can get smashed just fine with the regular stuff. Edward used to be able to, but now he can't." He raised an eyebrow and gave Alice a Look. "Think he just overdid it the first couple of times, or is this related? I mean, the stuff was definitely magic, even though it doesn't taste any different. I couldn't burn it off at will like the normal stuff."
Thomas shook his head, the grin returning at the mention of pictures. "But if I use the internet to find them, that makes me some sort of skeezy pervert. If you offered them it would be a gift. Or an invitation works too."
no subject
"You've never seen me really smashed. Well ok maybe that one time, but I got over it pretty quick, yeah? I dunno, I never went for the full alcoholic experience, not like Edward. It might be whatever hocus pocus, but our tolerance is pretty high." Alice frowned in thought, staring at the ceiling, so it was completely believable she didn't notice all the towel tugging she was doing. "I wanna try this magic booze stuff though, that sounds pretty great, plus surprisingly few retail goods for vamps in my experience of the world. I mean I don't know any sparkly lushes personally, you know? I'll ask Jasper."
Jasper would tell her, if she asked. He'd spent a long time drinking as hard as you could, so if anyone had matched Edward's intake, it'd be him. As much as she hated to dredge things up. For a second she missed him so hard it was almost like a physical thing in the room with them, but it passed. It always did. She'd write him later.
"You are a pervert," she said idly, still thinking about what she'd write to Jasper before turning to face him again, grinning. "Just 'cause you aren't skeezy. I am not giving you pictures, you're gonna have to work for them, probably same for an invitation if I think about it." If she thought about it, Pandora might not be super happy that she'd told Thomas about any of it, but Pandora could deal. Thomas got kept in the loop. That's the way things were.
no subject
"Yeah, sounds pretty neat if you want to get drunk without being able to get undrunk on your own," Thomas grumbled, though he added with a smirk, "Lucky for me, everyone's seen me tipsy so often they can't tell if I mean to be or not. And what better excuse for drinking myself into a coma than surprise family reunion?"
He trailed a few kisses down Alice's throat. "What sort of work are we talking about for pictures? Can't I just beg for them on my knees? That usually works." His hand caught Alice's wrist at his towel and Thomas raised an eyebrow. "Disapprove of my towel colour choice, Alice? And I am not a pervert. I'm just a kind soul who doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by turning them away."
no subject
"I think you can figure out how good boys get rewarded all on your own, yeah?" Alice inched forward, nose to nose, with a knowing smile. "Your towels have this annoying habit of being on you is all, plus yeah, you are a pervert, plus are you saying I'm just a pity date? 'Cause that's insulting, Thomas. That's the worst thing you can say to a girl."
no subject
Still, with the way Alice smiled and came up into his face, the last thing he wanted to talk more about was Lord Raith. "I could," he answered, "but a hint would help. You know, just a little one." He closed the inch or so of space between them and kissed Alice again, long and full of slow heat. "And I am not a pervert. Being free with my affections is a good thing. But I should probably shut up before I say something else stupid, huh?"
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
He did laugh, though, at Alice's question. "I'll leave the sunny optimism to you. It doesn't go well with the tall, dark and handsome thing I'm going for." Thomas leaned back on the bed, pulling Alice half on top of him. "So I'm up for the day, I think. Anything you want to do before the rest of the house wakes up and there are a dozen people to tiptoe around instead of just one?"
no subject
Another kiss to his chest, and a totally not-stifled giggle, 'cause she was pretty sure this was tantamount to accusing him of war crimes or listening to Menudo or something.
no subject
"Now that's just dirty slander. I'm not some glitter chaser," he answered, fingers tickling Alice's side. "Though I will admit it looks way better on you than on me."
no subject
"Seriously. Misguided glam rock phase? Frat prank? I'm prepared to tickle until you spill."
no subject
He squirmed theatrically against Alice at the tickling threat, a wicked grin playing at his lips as he used the opportunity to press against as much bare skin as possible. "I would've thought you TiVo'ed that one."
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
When it came, the wordless cry for more, Thomas stopped what he was doing, for a long second perfectly still, before he trailed kisses back up Alice's torso, caught at a perfectly responsive peak. With one smooth, practiced motion, he slid inside her and kissed her, hips and mouth working in flawless rhythm. The Hunger stirred again, drawing more heat, more heady, intoxicating desire up out of Alice. It twined want and need with friendship and affection, with emotions that recalled dozens of different beds, of hotels and back alleys, of frenzy and slow motion. The Hunger sang, an ever growing chorus of desire that drove them higher, in every note promising blessed silence.
no subject
Everything was clear and simple and her head sang with it, especially knowing it was about to be a thousand times better, but her body still begged, legs wrapped around him and hips rising to meet his without any conscious input required. Alice was being devoured with a lot of care, and every muscle in her body tensed at the edge of a sweet fire about to be unleashed.
His kiss was returned and deepened, her hand gripping the back of his head even as the other clawed through sheets and into the mattress, scrambling for some kind of purchase, and the laughter bubbling in her chest was threatening to rise no matter what she did, just 'cause it was all so good.
no subject
They moved in perfect sync, bodies rising and falling, her hips meeting his, drawing close and pulling apart. There was far too much to touch, to taste, and his hands and lips slid over Alice's body with quick, needy touches, as if trying to have everything before it all came crashing down. The Hunger delved deeper with anticipation as their rhythm quickened, unwilling to lose even a single drop of emotion.
no subject
Still laughing in fits and starts, she kissed him, the grip at the back of his head turned to a caress of his neck, legs soft and molded against his torso. And so there might have been some damage to the bed, her hand was tiny and it wasn't like she slept in it.
no subject
He returned Alice's kiss lazily, his fingers running lightly down her side. Thomas could feel it under his skin, how much he'd taken, how full and overwhelmed Alice had been. "You push yourself too hard," he said idly, easing himself off Alice and staring at the ceiling.
"And before you say you're a big girl who doesn't need topping off etc etc, I'm saying this out of self-preservation. Last thing I need is your husband storming into the house and teaching me the meaning of compound fracture of the skull because I didn't help you."
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)